2005 Ph.D., Educational science, 2005, Faculty of Education, University of Helsinki
1997 MA, Educational science, 1997, Faculty of Education, University of Helsinki
1992 Secondary school matriculation, Gymnasiet Svenska Normallyceum, Helsinki
2015 Secondary/tertiary level teacher qualification, University of Helsinki.
2009 Docent of university pedagogy, University of Helsinki
2009 Status of Principal Investigator, University of Helsinki
Vice-Rector for Development (50 %), Tallinn University
Research Fellow (20%) University of Helsinki
Fields of Research
Teaching and learning academic integrity and research ethics, ethics in supervision, teacher identity, teacher education, virtual learning
Previous professional appointments
- Academy Research Fellow 2011-2016
- University Lecturer 2007 - (leave 2011-2016)
Centre for Research and Development of Higher Education, Institute of Behavioural Sciences
- Associate Professor in Educational Psychology, 2006 –2008
Department of Teacher Education, University of Tallinn, Estonia, (two-year fixed-term appointment, 50 % work load due to simultaneous appointment at the University of Helsinki)
- Researcher and Post-doc Researcher, 2000-2007
Centre for Research and Development of Higher Education, Dept. of Education, University of Helsinki, (between 2000-2002 grant funding, between 2006 – 2007 workload 55% due to professorship in Tallinn), 2003-2005
- Project Coordinator, 2001 –2002
Central Ostrobothnia Polytechnic and Helsinki Polytechnic (part-time)
- Project Coordinator, 2000 –2001
Helsinki Business Polytechnic
- Research assistant, Project coordinator, Researcher, 1996 –1999
Vantaa Institute for Continuing Education, University of Helsinki (currently known as Palmenia Centre for Continuing Education)
- University pedagogy60 ECTS, completed 2006, Centre for Research and Development of Higher Education, University of Helsinki, (grade: 5/5 excellent)
- ~1900 h of teaching experience, all levels including BA, MA, PhD and academic staff development, international teaching experience
- 2013 Prize for Best research article in International scientific journal awarded by Estonian Ministry of Education and Research: Löfström, E. & Poom-Valickis, K. (2013). Beliefs about teaching: persistent or malleable? A longitudinal study of prospective student teachers' beliefs. Teaching and Teacher Education, 35, 104-113.
- 2012 Member of award-winning EdPsychHE - Educational psychology in higher education Research Community (RC). Awarded in category “New Openings” in the International Evaluation of Research and Doctoral Training, University of Helsinki 2012. One of 9 Principal investigators of the RC. Chair of the RC: Professor Sari Lindblom-Ylänne.
- 2009 First prize for best academic course book Psüholoogia klassiruumis. Reflekteerivaks õpetajaks juhtumeid analüüsides (Psychology in the Classroom: Promoting Reflective Practice) by Mathews, S., Löfström, E. & Poom-Valickis, K. (2008). Tallinn University Press.
Memberships in scientific boards, committees and societies
- Member, Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (1.2.2016-31.1.2019).
- Chair, Review Board on Ethics in Research on Human Participants, University of Helsinki, Chair (2014-17); Vice Chair (2013-14); Member (2011-13).
- Member, LERU (League of European Research Universities) Expert Group on Research Integrity, 2014-
- Member, LERU Working Group on Ethics, 2014-
- Chair, LERU Doctoral Summer School 2014 “Research integrity in a complex society-Doing the right things right”, 2014.
- Member of Supervision Working Group, Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity, 2013-15
- Member of Education Working Group, Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity, 2013-14
- Member and Vice Chair Review Board on Ethics in Research on Human Participants, University of Helsinki, 2011-14
- Member, steering group for Swedish Speaking students’ Doctoral Education, University of Helsinki 2013
- Editorial board member Estonian Journal of Education, 2013--
- Member, Research Ethics Board, Faculty of Behavioural Sciences, University of Helsinki, 2010-11
- Jury member, Annual Competition for Innovations in ICT in teaching, University of Helsinki, 2009-2011
- Full Board Member of Teacher Education Policy in Europe (TEPE) Network, 2008-
- Member, European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI), 2003-
- Member, Finnish Educational Research Association (FERA), 2010-
- Member, European Advisory Committee for the 5th World Conference on Research Integrity May 28-31, 2017.
- Vice chair of external audit panel, Åbo Akademi University (Finland) 2015. Finnish Education Evaluation Council (KARVI, former FINHEEC), Ministry of Education.
- Steering group member for a national project developing an online research ethics course, Federation of Finnish Learned Societies, 2015-2016
- Member of steering group of Doctoral Barometer 2013, University of Helsinki.
- Permanent expert member of the University of Helsinki Teachers’ Academy, which is a network of teachers who have invested in the development of teaching 2013->
- Expert on university pedagogy and research ethics in the “Do not Copy!”-task force, which designed the University of Helsinki support website in response to Rector’s decision to introduce plagiarism detection, 2011-2012.
- Member of external evaluation panel of KTH Royal Institute of technology, Stockholm, 2011.
- Vice chair of external audit panel, Åbo Akademi University (Finland) 2009. Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council (FINHEEC), Ministry of Education.
- Scientific advisor in ESF project “Improving quality of teacher education through development of educational psychology subjects” (ESF code 1.0101-0268) 2006-2008, Tallinn University.
- Member, steering group for the project Developing the teaching of academic information-seeking skills in the university (AVET), Faculty of Behavioral Sciences Library, University of Helsinki, 2005-2006.
- Member of external audit of Arcada Polytechnic (Finland) 2003. FINHEEC.
- Member of work group for National evaluation of the implementation of the Socrates Programme in Finland 2002-2003. Coordinator: Centre for International Mobility (CIMO), Finnish Ministry of Education & University of Helsinki.
- Member of evaluation and steering group of language training at Central Ostrobothnia Polytechnic and Helsinki Polytechnic 2001 – 2002. FINHEEC
- Member of project group of benchmarking of language training at University of Helsinki, Helia Business Polytechnic, Arcada Polytechnic, Laurea Polytechnic, and Haaga Institute Polytechnic 2000 - 2001. FINHEEC.
- Visiting researcher, University of Melbourne, Australia, September-November 2014
- Guest lecturer, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile, December 2012 (1 week)
- Visiting lecturer, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, January 2012 (1 week)
- Visiting researcher, University of Otago, New Zealand, Higher Education Development Centre (HEDC), November-December 2011.
- Fulbright Junior Scholar, University of West Florida, FL, USA, August – December 2008
- Associate Professor, Tallinn University, Estonia,October 2006 – June 2008
- Fulbright Visiting Researcher, University of Miami, FL, USA, August 1999 – May 2000
- Intern (research assistant), United Nations, Office of Human Resources Management, New York, USA, August-November 2001
Research project grants
- Horizon 2020, GARRI 10.2015, 1 199 200 EUR consortium European Network of Research Ethics and Research Integrity (ENERI). Coordinator: Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn. 2016-2019.
- Academy of Finland, ~32 000 EUR,expenditure budget, Teaching and Learning academic integrity in social sciences, 2014-2016.
- Academy of Finland, ~390 000 EUR, Teaching and Learning academic integrity in social sciences, 2011-2016.
- Academy of Finland, ~12 000 EUR, expenditure budget, Teaching and Learning academic integrity in social sciences, 2011-2014.
- Fulbright, 24 000 USD, Fellowship at University of West Florida, 2008.
- Ella & Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation, 2006.
- Finnish Cultural Foundation, 2003
- Alfred Kordelin Foundation, 2002.
- Swedish Cultural Foundation, 2001.
- Ella & Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation, 2001.
- Zonta International, 2001.
- Letterstedtska Föreningen, 2001.
- CIMO Centre for International Mobility, 2001.
- University of Helsinki Young Researchers’ Grant, 75 000 Fmk, 2000.
- Helsingin Sanomat Centennial Foundation, 1999.
- Swedish Cultural Foundation, 1999.
- Fulbright, Fellowship, University of Miami, 1998.
- Svenska Studiestödskommittén, 1994.
Grants for educational development
- University of Helsinki SEDUCE doctoral program, 1800 EUR research ethics course pilot, 2015.
- Finnish-Swedish Cultural Foundation, 2000 EUR Working group “Development of Nordic Doctoral Education” (Kirsi Pyhältö, Erika Löfström, Solveig Cornér), 2015
- League of European Research Universities, 7500 EUR Doctoral summer school on research integrity, 2014.
- Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme grant, total approx. 50 000 EUR, Educational Research Methodology in a European Context II - Doctoral Summer school at Haapsalu College (Coordinator: Sheffield Hallam University), 2012
- Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme grant, total 59 160 EUR, Educational Research Methodology in a European Context I - Doctoral Winter school, Akdeniz University, Turkey (Coordinator: Sheffield Hallam University), 2010.
- Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme grant, total approx. 50 000 EUR, Perspectives on European Education Policy Analysis -Doctoral Summer school at Tallinn University/Haapsalu College (Coordinator: Sheffield Hallam University), 2009.
- Erasmus Lifelong Learning Programme grant, 111 360 EUR, Perspectives on European Education Policy Analysis - Doctoral Summer school, Tallinn University/Haapsalu College, (Coordinator: Sheffield Hallam University), 2008.
- National Board of Education, Puhumalla paras – suullisen kielitaidon harjoittaminen ja arviointi, 120 000 Fmk, language teachers’ in-service training, 1998, Vantaa Institute for Continuing Education, University of Helsinki.
- National Board of Education, Early Learning of Foreign Languages, 72 000 Fmk, teachers’ in-service training, 1998, Vantaa Institute for Continuing Education, University of Helsinki.
Opponent of PhD dissertation:
1) 2013 Marvi Remmik: Novice University Teachers’ Professional Development and Learning as a Teacher: Opportunities and Conditions at Estonian Higher Education Institutions. University of Tartu, Estonia
2) 2015 Liina Leppik: You Reap What You Sow: The Objectives of Doctoral Studies and Factors Influencing Doctoral Study Process from the Perspectives of Different Parties scheduled for December 21, University of Tartu
Supervised doctoral theses:
1)Merilyn Meristo, Tallinn University (Novice teacher experiences of job satisfaction and community). 2016.
2) Kaisa Hahl, University of Helsinki (Interculturality and multiculturality in teacher education), 2016
Currently supervising the following PhD students:
8) Liana Roos, University of Tartu (university pedagogy, ethics)
7) Helen Arov, Tallinn University (Art education)
6) Heidi Laine, University of Helsinki (Ethical guidelines, open science)
5) Solveig Cornér, University of Helsinki (Supervision and doctoral training)
4) Maria Clavert, University of Helsinki (Change agency in higher education)
3) Hele Aluste, Tallinn University (Therapeutic intervention with children with emotional and behavioural challenges)
2) Eija Henritius, University of Helsinki (Emotions in virtual learning)
1) Tiina Anspal, University of Tartu (Teacher identity development)
- Why is it so troubling when students plagiarise? Research on academics’ experiences. URKUND Conference on Plagiarism and Pedagogy, Stockholm, Sweden, August 21, 2015.
- Research ethics and integrity – training of trainers. Swiss Science Academy, December 9, 2014.
- From Mindscapes to Mindshapes - Teacher identity, emotion, and beliefs about teaching seen through visual and verbal images. European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI), Higher Education SIG, Tallinn University, Estonia, August 14-17, 2012.
Organiser of conferences and symposia
- Organiser & chair of symposium Towards Reflective Academia: Promoting Academic Integrity. Discussant: Lynn McAlpine, University of Oxford. EARLI, Cyprus, August 25-29, 2015
- Organiser & chair of symposium Fostering integrity in academia: Conceptions and experiences of academic staff and students. Discussant: Jan Vermunt, University of Cambridge. EARLI Higher Education SIG, KU Leuven, Belgium, August 22-22, 2014
- Member of organizing committees of international conferences of Teacher Education Policy in Europe (Helsinki 2013; Warsaw 2012, Vienna 2011, Tallinn 2010, Umeå 2009).
Scientific journals:Frequently reviewing fore.g.Teaching and Teacher Education,Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, Higher Education, Journal of Academic Ethics, Learning and Instruction, British Journal of Educational Psychology
Publishers (books): e.g.Springer 2014, 2015; Routledge 2013, Peter Lang 2012.